DUI Defense Lawyers Fight for the Rights of Multiple DUI Offenders in Beaufort County, Jasper County, and Throughout SC
While a DUI conviction is treated very seriously in South Carolina, a person who is charged with a second or subsequent DUI offense can face much harsher penalties. However, even when you are faced with a second or subsequent DUI charge, you still have rights and options for facing your charge and pursuing a favorable outcome in your case. A South Carolina multiple DUI attorney from The Bannon Law Group, LLC can provide you with the skilled legal representation you need in your case.
Attorneys Jim and Meredith Bannon have more than a decade of experience in criminal law. Both have previously served as prosecutors with the 14th Judicial Circuit Solicitor’s Office. This experience gives our attorneys a critical perspective into how the state builds and prosecutes criminal cases. We use our experience in the South Carolina criminal justice system to prepare effective defense strategies on behalf of our clients to help them secure the best possible outcome to their DUI charges. We stand ready to fight for your rights and interests in court and all the way through trial if necessary.
Do not let a mistake seriously impact your life for years to come. If you have been arrested and charged with a second or subsequent DUI offense, turn to The Bannon Law Group, LLC today for an initial case evaluation to learn more about your legal rights and options for facing your charges and to discuss the possible outcomes in your case.
Penalties You Can Face for a Second or Subsequent DUI Conviction
Although the penalties for a DUI conviction can be harsh given how seriously the offense is treated under South Carolina law, penalties for a second or subsequent DUI conviction can be much higher. For example, penalties for a second DUI conviction include:
- Refusal to submit to breath testing or a blood alcohol content (BAC) or less than .10 percent – Five days to one year in jail
- BAC of .10 to .15 percent – 30 days to two years in jail or prison
- BAC of .16 or more – 90 days to three years in jail or prison
In addition, a second DUI conviction also results in an automatic one-year driver’s license suspension.
A third DUI conviction requires a two-year driver’s license suspension and carries penalties of:
- Refusal to submit to breath testing or a blood alcohol content (BAC) or less than .10 percent – 60 days to three years in jail or prison
- BAC of .10 to .15 percent – 90 days to four years in jail or prison
- BAC of .16 or more – Six months to five years in jail or prison
A fourth or subsequent DUI conviction carries stiff penalties that include permanent revocation of driving privileges along with:
- Refusal to submit to breath testing or a blood alcohol content (BAC) or less than .10 percent – One to five years in prison
- BAC of .10 to .15 percent – Two to six years in prison
- BAC of .16 or more – Three to seven years in prison
Multiple DUI convictions may also require a defendant to install an ignition interlock device on their vehicle and to pay an insurance surcharge to obtain the required auto liability insurance.
How Can a South Carolina Multiple DUI Attorney Help in Your Case
After you have been charged with a second or subsequent DUI offense, a South Carolina multiple DUI attorney from The Bannon Law Group, LLC can help you defend yourself against your charges and pursue a favorable outcome in your case by:
- Investigating your charges to recover evidence, not simply relying on the evidence that is turned over by the prosecution.
- Explaining your charges and the potential outcomes in your case, as well as what will occur at each stage of the prosecution.
- Raising viable challenges to the state’s case, such as arguing that you were unlawfully stopped, or challenging the state’s evidence of your intoxication.
- If appropriate, negotiating with the prosecution to try to reach a plea agreement that will allow you to avoid the more serious consequences of a conviction for a second or subsequent DUI.
- Vigorously advocating on your behalf if you choose to go to trial in your case to secure an acquittal for you.
Contact The Bannon Law Group LLC for a Confidential Case Review to Go Over Your Rights and Options with Our South Carolina Multiple DUI Attorney
Don’t leave your freedom and future to the mercy of the criminal justice system. Contact The Bannon Law Group, LLC today for a confidential consultation to speak with a South Carolina multiple DUI attorney to go over what our firm can do to help you face your charges and pursue the best possible outcome for you in your case.